Monday, July 30, 2012

July 1st

"I AM"
 I AM A BOY WHO LIKES FIREWORKS I WONDER IF I WILL OWN LOTS OF FIREWORKS I HEAR THEM BANG, I SEE LOTS OF PRETTY COLORS I WANT TO OWN A COMPANY OF FIREWORKS I AM A BOY WHO LIKES FIREWORKS I PRETEND I AM A FIRECRACKER, I FEEL MYSELF EXPLODE I TOUCH THE MOON I WORRY IF I WILL GET FIREWORKS AGAIN I CRY WHEN I DON'T GET FIREWORKS I AM A BOY WHO LIKES FIREWORKS I UNDERSTAND WHEN I CAN'T GET FIREWORKS I SAY I LOVE FIREWORKS I DREAM I WILL GET THEM AGAIN I TRY TO GET THEM, I HOPE I WILL GET THEM I AM A BOY WHO LIKES FIREWORKS
                                                               -Michael Kelly, 1987 (approx.)
 FROM ME TO YOU
 If you were to ask my youngest son, Michael, what his favorite holiday was when he was growing up, he would most likely tell you the 4th of July. Waiting for our neighborhood July 4th celebration to arrive was almost as agonizing for him as counting the days until Christmas was to most other kids. When the annual fireworks catalogs arrived in the mail, Michael would spend hours looking over the pages of bright, dazzling photos until his dad would finally place an order. That was only the beginning. Next it was the "counting of days" until the order arrived along with the worry that the order wouldn't be delivered on time. His impatience and constant questioning often wore on my nerves, yet being a young mother I remembered well the obsessions I had as a child that often stirred me up in much the same way. Once the long awaited package arrived, Michael would lay out the treasured items and carefully plan how each one would be used to obtain the best possible results for our celebration. Of course he was monitored during his activities, and I had to draw the line time and time again reminding him of how dangerous fireworks could be. Each day started with the same question: "How many more days until the 4th of July?" The child was obsessed and could barely contain himself. Once the evening finally arrived for our neighborhood celebration, his dad and I had to keep a close watch on our youngest son. His eagerness to help with lighting the rockets, sparklers and fountains often placed him in harm's way. I have never in all my life seen a child so thrilled and excited over a fireworks display.
                                                                                           -Colleen DeLauter

No comments:

Post a Comment